
The Ondo State Police Command has set records straight over the circumstances surrounding a viral video that allegedly showed police officers stealing mobile phones in Idogun, Ose Local Government Area.
According to the Commissioner of Police Wilfred Afolabi, the video is misleading and doctored as orchestrated by one fake naval officer in the town.
Addressing newsmen in his office on Monday, Afolabi pointed that the officers were deployed to restore peace in the community, which had been disrupted by violent protests sparked by the detention of Jide Falade, a fake retired Navy capt Falade was arrested for allegedly kidnapping individuals and seizing their property, and was later arraigned on ten counts charge and remanded at the Ondo Correctional Center.
The Commissioner stated that the supposed phone shop where the officers allegedly stole phones was actually a barbershop where they typically charged their phones.
He also noted that no one has come forward to report that their phone shop was burgled.
Afolabi distanced the police from the ongoing chieftaincy crisis in Idogun, accusing Falade of using thuggery instead of following due process to challenge the community’s leadership.
He assured the public that the police would remain neutral and committed to maintaining law and order in the community.
The Commissioner urged the public to disregard the viral video useless and unofficial.
Afolabi who said no complain is lodged, stating that the police have a zero-tolerance policy for indiscipline, also emphasized that the police will not be drawn into mischief and that an inspector can not stoop so low as to steal a phone..
Afolabi, said that the Command under his watch will not interfere in Chieftaincy and land disputes.
However, he assured that the Police would continue to maintain law and order in all communities across the State.
Afolabi emphasized that the Police should not be dragged into civil matters, including chieftaincy-related disputes.
Addressing a viral video that alleged Policemen deployed to the Idogun Community stole mobile phones, he described the claim as false and unfounded.
Explaining the Police presence in Idogun, he said that Officers were deployed to restore peace after residents became riotous following the arrest and remand of one Jide Falade.
He clarified that the video accusing Officers of theft was misleading, revealing that investigations showed the supposed “phone shop” was actually a Barbershop where Officers usually charged their phones.
His words: “My men are still in that community. People who know me understand that I do not compromise. When I saw the video, I instructed that whoever was involved should be arrested.
“The Policemen were interrogated, and they explained that they had only gone to the shop to collect their Phones after charging them. They never denied going there.”
He added: “I have not received any report of stolen Phones. If there is any, we will investigate. The poster of the video might be a sympathizer of Falade.
“I urge the public to disregard the misleading claims, as they appear to be the work of someone trying to be mischievous. As of now, no one has come forward to report that their phone shop was burgled.”
Providing background on the unrest in Idogun, Afolabi disclosed that the Police had received complaints about Falade, who claims to be a retired Navy captain who served in the American military.
According to him, “When I received reports that Falade and his men had allegedly kidnapped individuals and seized their property, I dispatched the SWAT team to apprehend him.